German Reformed Church Photograph

Access and use

Location of collection:
Thomas Balch Library
208 West Market Street
Leesburg, Virginia 20176
Contact for questions and access:
POC: Laura Christiansen
Phone: (703) 737-7195
Restrictions:

Collection open for research.

Terms of access:

No physical characteristics affect use of this material.

Preferred citation:

German Reformed Church Photograph (VC 0080), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Collection context

Summary

Extent:
1 photograph
Creator:
Jeff Ball, Leesburg, VA
Language:
English
Abstract:
This collection consists of one undated 10 inch x 12 inch sepia toned photograph of the German Reformed Church constructed around 1819 in Lovettsville, VA.
Preferred citation:

German Reformed Church Photograph (VC 0080), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Background

Scope and content:

This collection consists of one undated 10 inch x 12 inch sepia toned photograph of the German Reformed Church constructed around 1819 in Lovettsville, VA. The image includes some portions of the Cemetery surrounding the church. The stamp of photographer William Alexander Burger (1856-1922) of Frederick, MD appears on the reverse. The corners and edges of the matt have been damaged and should be handled with care. The photograph is stored with oversized photographs.

Biographical / historical:

The German Reformed Church in Lovettsville, VA was one of the earliest German Reformed congregations established in Virginia. Many early German settlers in Lovettsville originated in the Palatinate region of Germany and brought the Reformed Church, a Calvinist sect of Protestantism, with them. By 1748 a growing community was established in upper Loudoun County under the leadership of a Reformed Church elder, William Wenner (fl. 1720 -1750). Prior to the construction of a church building, the congregation worshipped in members' homes. A log structure was built where Wenner led prayer services and performed marriages, baptisms, and funerals. The building also served as a school, with Wenner acting as schoolmaster. In 1766 a Reformed Church Minister, Reverend Charles Lange (fl. 1750-1768) from Frederick, MD took over pastoral care of the congregation.

A second log church was built to replace the original structure around 1775, and this in turn was replaced by a brick church building around 1819. This building was demolished in 1901, and its bricks were used by the congregation for constructing a new church building within the town of Lovettsville which was re-named St. James. Up until that time, the three previous churches were known simply as the "German Reformed Church". Mergers in the 20th century resulted with St. James becoming part of the Evangelical and Reformed Church, the United Church of Christ, and finally, St. James United Church of Christ. Saint James Reformed Cemetery remains at the site of the three earlier church buildings.

Acquisition information:
Jeff Ball, Leesburg, VA
Processing information:

Processed by Laura Christiansen, research by Jack Craig, 8 June 2016

Arrangement:

Folder: Item

Accruals:

2016.0026

Physical / technical requirements:

None

Physical description:
.