The Oakton High School Collection, 1928-1997

Access and use

Location of collection:
Fairfax County Public Library
City of Fairfax Regional Library
Virginia Room
10360 North Street
Fairfax, VA 22030-2514
Contact for questions and access:
POC: Chris Barbuschak
Phone: (703) 293-2142
Phone: (703) 293-6227 ext. 6 (Virginia Room)
Fax: (703) 293-2155
Restrictions:

None

Terms of access:

Consult repository for information

Preferred citation:

Oakton High School Collection, MSS 11-12, Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library

Collection context

Summary

Extent:
.25 linear feet
Creator:
Stuntz, Mayo S. (1915-2013)
Abstract:
The Oakton High School Collection spans the years 1928-1997 and consists of three issues of the school newsletter “Oak Leaves”, a reunion program, and a high school diploma.
Language:
English
Preferred citation:

Oakton High School Collection, MSS 11-12, Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library

Background

Scope and content:

The Oakton High School Collection spans the years 1928-1997 and consists of three issues of the school newsletter “Oak Leaves”, a reunion program, and a high school diploma. The diploma was awarded to Hazel Catherine Showalter (Sebodee) and signed by M.D. Hall, F.B. Cunningham, Dr. F.M. Brooks, and Wilbert Woodson. Subjects include Oakton High School and education in Fairfax County, Virginia.

Biographical / historical:

Oakton High School traces its roots to 1911, when a one year course was offered in Sutton’s Store in Oakton, Virginia. In 1913, the school officially became known as “Oakton High School” when a two year course was offered, making it the first high school in the Providence District. In 1914, a new two-story frame school building was constructed at the corner of Chain Bridge Road and Blake Lane. This building was used until 1935 when Oakton High School was decommissioned after the new Fairfax High School opened. The old high school building was used as an elementary school until it mysteriously burned down in January 1944. A new Oakton High School was built in 1967 on Sutton Road, and in 2017 the school celebrated its 50th anniversary.

Acquisition information:
Donated by Mayo S. Stuntz on May 20, 1997
Processing information:

Chris Barbuschak, May 2017
EAD generated by Ross Landis, 2024