Richmond (Va.) Organization Records, 1872-1923

Access and use

Location of collection:
The Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Contact for questions and access:
POC: Archives Reference Services
Phone: (804) 692-3888
Restrictions:

There are no restrictions.

Terms of access:

There are no restrictions.

Preferred citation:

Richmond (Va.) Organization Records, 1872-1923, [series or volume title]. Local government records collection, Richmond (Va.) Court Records. The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000.

Collection context

Summary

Creator:
Richmond (Va.) Circuit Court
Language:
English
Preferred citation:

Richmond (Va.) Organization Records, 1872-1923, [series or volume title]. Local government records collection, Richmond (Va.) Court Records. The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000.

Background

Scope and content:

Richmond (Va.) Organization Records, 1872-1923 is comprised of various records created by groups in the city of Richmond. These records consist of minute books and loose, unprocessed records.

Biographical / historical:

Context for Record Type:Organization Records, both volumes and loose records, are in some cases transferred to the Library of Virginia as components of court record transfers. These organization records in some cases were simply stored in the local court building for safe keeping by business owners. In other cases, organization records (particularly ledgers, account books, etc.) may have been filed in a court case as an exhibit. These organization record exhibits appeared both in chancery causes and in judgments, these records serving as exhibits for business dissolution cases, debt suits, and contract disputes.

Locality History:Richmond, located between Henrico and Chesterfield Counties, was named by William Byrd II, who envisioned the development of a city at the falls of the James River and with the help of William Mayo laid out the town in 1737. Richmond was established in 1742 and in 1779 was designated the capital of Richmond effective April 1780. It was incorporated as a city in 1842. Richmond was enlarged by annexation of Manchester (or South Richmond) in 1910, and by the addition of Barton Heights, Fairmount, and Highland Park in 1914.

Lost Locality Note: During the burning of Richmond on April 3, 1865, during the Civil War, Richmond circuit court judge John A. Meredith led efforts to save the circuit court records found at the State Court House. Rescuers successfully removed all the circuit court papers that concerned pending suits and many of the order books, but all of the circuit court will and deed books were lost. Records of the superior court and circuit superior court of law and chancery were also destroyed. Most of the pre–Civil War Hustings Court records exist, including Hustings Court wills and deeds.

Acquisition information:
This collection came to the Library of Virginia in a transfer of records from Richmond under an undated accession.
Processing information:

Prior to 2025, the various organization records in this collection were originally described as individual records, but they have been consolidated into one large organization record for the locality. Since 2025, these records additionally include identified but not processed records.

Encoded by C. OBrion: 2010; updated by J. Taylor: December 2025.

Arrangement:

This collection is arranged into two series:

  • Series I: Grace Street Baptist Church Records, 1872-1912
  • Series II: Protestant Episcopal Church, Diocese of Virginia Records, 1922-1923

Physical location:
Library of Virginia
Physical description:
3 volumes; 0.5 cubic ft. (2 boxes)