Williamsburg (Va.) District Court Clerk's Fee Bill, 1790
Access and use
- Location of collection:
-
The Library of Virginia800 East Broad StreetRichmond, VA 23219
- Contact for questions and access:
- POC: Archives Reference ServicesEmail: archdesk@lva.virginia.govPhone: (804) 692-3888Web: www.lva.virginia.gov
- Restrictions:
-
Collection is open to research.
- Terms of access:
-
There are no restrictions.
- Preferred citation:
-
Williamsburg (Va.) District Court Clerk's Fee Bill, 1790. Local government records collection, Williamsburg Court Records. The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va. 23219.
Collection context
Summary
- Creator:
- Williamsburg (Va.) District Court.
- Language:
- English
- Preferred citation:
-
Williamsburg (Va.) District Court Clerk's Fee Bill, 1790. Local government records collection, Williamsburg Court Records. The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va. 23219.
Background
- Scope and content:
-
Williamsburg (Va.) District Court Clerk's Fee Bill, 1790. Consists of a clerk's fee bill from William Russell, Clerk of Williamsburg District Court, for entering a judgment, a copy, an order, and a record.
- Biographical / historical:
-
Williamsburg was established in 1699. It was incorporated as a borough in 1722 and incorporated as a city in 1884.
James City County was recognized in 1634 as an original shire. Williamsburg was founded in 1699 and declared a “city Incorporate” by a royal charter in 1722, although its actual status was that of a borough. Beginning in 1770, the courts of James City County and Williamsburg shared a common courthouse. During the Civil War, the records of both localities were transferred to Richmond for safekeeping, but were destroyed by fire there on April 3, 1865. The records of the superior court of chancery for the Williamsburg district were destroyed by a courthouse fire in April 1911.
- Acquisition information:
- This item came to the Library of Virginia under the accession number 39022.
- Physical location:
- Library of Virginia
- Physical description:
- 2 p.