St. Mark's Lutheran Church Collection, 1851/2024

Access and use

Location of collection:
Shenandoah County Library
514 Stoney Creek Blvd.
Edinburg VA, 22824
Contact for questions and access:
POC: Zachary Hottel
Phone: (540) 984-8200
Restrictions:

This collection is open to researchers without restrictions. Researchers must register and agree to all copyright laws and archives policies before using the collection. Please contact the Shenandoah County Library before visiting to use this collection.

Preferred citation:

[Identification of item] St. Mark's Lutheran Church Collection, 1851-2024, Truban Archives, Shenandoah County Library, Edinburg, Virginia, USA.

Collection context

Summary

Extent:
14 Linear Feet
Abstract:
This collection contains a variety of materials relating to St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Forestville Virginia, including directories, records, a church bible, reports, financial statements, photographs, and other ephemera and documents.
Language:
English .
Preferred citation:

[Identification of item] St. Mark's Lutheran Church Collection, 1851-2024, Truban Archives, Shenandoah County Library, Edinburg, Virginia, USA.

Background

Scope and content:

This collection contains ten boxes.

Box 1: 1875-1973, 26 upright folders containing church records, photographs, meeting minutes, and more

Box 2: 1974-1997, 27 upright folders containing meeting minutes, church reports and records, and more

Box 3: 1997-ca. 2021, 50 upright folders containing church records, meeting minutes, a survey, and more

Box 4: 2021-2024 and undated, 15 upright folders containing church records, directories, and more

Box 5: 1908-2015 and undated, one worship book and 30 photograph sleeves

Box 6: 1910-2024 and undated, three books including records and attendance books, and a memoir

Box 7: 1851, church bible

Box 8: 1926-1942, five books including attendance, contribution, and financial records

Box 9: 1941-2024, one ceritificate and one congregational record

Box 10: 1949-2013, two books including parish register and guest book

Biographical / historical:

St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized by Reverend Joseph Alexander Snyder in 1873 with members from Solomon's congregation in Forestville Virginia. St. Mark's joined St. Martin and Mt. Zion to form the Quicksburg Parish in 1934. Mt. Zion left the parish in 1989, and St. Mark's and St. Martin remained part of the parish until after the pandemic when each church got their own pastor. The St. Mark's congregation met in the same building in Forestville from 1873 until its final worship service on Sunday, November 24, 2024.

Acquisition information:
Materials were donated by the church following its closure. The donation was facilitated by Tina Knupp and donated materials were picked up by the library on February 28, 2026.
Processing information:

Materials were donated, processed, foldered or wrapped as necessary, and boxed. Materials in folders and sleeves were sorted chronologically. The congregational record dated 2000-2024 was removed from its original binding with original order maintained.

Arrangement:

The materials in this collection are grouped together and boxed based on object type and size. Foldered items are stored in upright file folders and arranged in chronological order with undated materials at the back. Objects are arranged by size in boxes.

The finding aid is arranged in chronological order with undated items at the end.

Physical location:
Shenandoah County Library, Truban Archives