<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--Converted with dtd2schema.vh.xsl -->
<?xml-model href="http://text.lib.virginia.edu/dtd/eadVIVA/ead-ext.rng"
		type="application/xml" 
		schematypens="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0" 
		title="extended EAD relaxng schema" ?>

<ead xmlns="urn:isbn:1-931666-22-9" id="vi00205">
  <eadheader audience="internal" langencoding="iso639-2b" findaidstatus="edited-partial-draft" scriptencoding="iso15924" dateencoding="iso8601" countryencoding="iso3166-1" repositoryencoding="iso15511">
    <eadid publicid="PUBLIC &amp;#34;-//Library of Virginia//TEXT (US::Vi::vi00205::A Guide to the Virginia Manufactory of Arms Records, 1798-1864)//EN&amp;#34; &amp;#34;vi00205.xml&amp;#34;" countrycode="US" mainagencycode="US-Vi">PUBLIC "-//Library of
             Virginia//TEXT (US::Vi::vi00205::A Guide to the Virginia
             Manufactory of Arms Records, 1798-1864)//EN"
             "vi00205.xml"</eadid>
    <filedesc>
      <titlestmt>
        <titleproper>A Guide to the Virginia Manufactory of Arms
            Records, 
            <date era="ce" calendar="gregorian">1798-1864</date></titleproper>
        <subtitle id="sort">Manufactory of Arms Records, Virginia,
            1798-1864 
            <num type="collectionnumber">APA 175</num></subtitle>
        <author>Description Services Staff</author>
        <sponsor>Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a
               grant from the National Endowment for the
               Humanities.</sponsor>
      </titlestmt>
      <publicationstmt>
        <publisher>Library of Virginia</publisher>
        <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude" href="http://ead.lib.virginia.edu:/vivaead/add_con/lva_address.xi.xml"/>
        <date type="publication" era="ce" calendar="gregorian">© 2002 By the Library
            of Virginia.</date>
        <p id="usestatement">
          <extref xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="http://www.lib.virginia.edu/speccol/vhp/conditions.html">Conditions of
               Use</extref>
        </p>
        <p id="filesize">2 kb</p>
      </publicationstmt>
    </filedesc>
    <profiledesc>
      <creation>Machine-readable finding aid derived from MARC
         record. Created by Paige Neal 
         <date era="ce" calendar="gregorian">13 March 2002</date></creation>
      <langusage>Description is in 
         <language>English</language></langusage>
    </profiledesc>
    <revisiondesc>
      <change>
        <date normal="2004-02-14" era="ce" calendar="gregorian">Feb 14, 2004</date>
        <item>PUBLIC "-//Library of Virginia//TEXT
            (US::Vi::vi00205::A Guide to the Virginia Manufactory of
            Arms Records, 1798-1864)//EN" "vi00205.xml" converted from
            EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).</item>
      </change>
      <change>
        <date normal="2004-02-27" era="ce" calendar="gregorian">Feb 27, 2004</date>
        <item>converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd by
            vivastrict.xsl</item>
      </change>
      <change>
        <date normal="2014-01-08">2014-01-08</date>
        <item>Converted to schema conforming EAD by dtd2schema.vh.xsl.</item>
      </change>
    </revisiondesc>
  </eadheader>
  <frontmatter>
    <titlepage>
      <titleproper>A Guide to the Virginia Manufactory of Arms
         Records, 
         <date era="ce" calendar="gregorian">1798-1864</date></titleproper>
      <subtitle>A Collection in 
         <lb/>the Library of Virginia 
         <num type="Accession Number">APA 175</num></subtitle>
      <p id="logostmt">
        <extptr xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xlink:type="simple" xlink:actuate="onLoad" xlink:show="embed" xlink:href="http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaead/logos/lva.jpg"/>
      </p>
      <publisher>Library of Virginia</publisher>
      <date type="publication" era="ce" calendar="gregorian">2002</date>
      <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude" href="http://ead.lib.virginia.edu:/vivaead/add_con/lva_contact.xi.xml"/>
      <list type="deflist">
        <defitem>
          <label>Processed by:</label>
          <item>Library of Virginia Staff</item>
        </defitem>
        <defitem>
          <label>Funding:</label>
          <item>Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a
               grant from the National Endowment for the
               Humanities.</item>
        </defitem>
      </list>
    </titlepage>
  </frontmatter>
  <archdesc level="collection">
    <runner placement="footer">Library of Virginia</runner>
    <did>
      <head>Descriptive Summary</head>
      <repository>Library of Virginia</repository>
      <unittitle label="Title">Virginia Manufactory of Arms Records,
         <unitdate type="inclusive" label="Date" era="ce" calendar="gregorian">
         1798-1864</unitdate></unittitle>
      <unitid label="Accession number">APA 175</unitid>
      <physloc label="Physical Location">State Records Collection,
         Auditor of Public Accounts (Record Group 48)</physloc>
      <physdesc label="Physical Characteristics">26 feet, 11 inches,
         and 13 volumes (approximate 13,000 items)</physdesc>
      <langmaterial label="Language">
        <language langcode="eng">English</language>
      </langmaterial>
    </did>
    <descgrp type="admininfo">
      <head>Administrative Information 
         </head>
      <accessrestrict>
        <head>Access Restrictions</head>
        <p>There are no restrictions.</p>
      </accessrestrict>
      <userestrict>
        <head>Use Restrictions</head>
        <p>There are no restrictions.</p>
      </userestrict>
      <prefercite>
        <head>Preferred Citation</head>
        <p>Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts, Virginia
            Manufactory of Arms records, 1798-1864. Accession APA 175,
            State Records Collection, The Library of Virginia,
            Richmond, Virginia.</p>
      </prefercite>
      <acqinfo>
        <head>Acquisition Information</head>
        <p>Transferred from the Office of the Auditor of Public
            Accounts in 1913.</p>
      </acqinfo>
    </descgrp>
    <bioghist>
      <head>Biographical/Historical Information</head>
      <p>MANUFACORY OF ARMS: The Virginia Manufactory of Arms was
         established by an act passed by the General Assembly on 23
         January 1798. The manufactory, which served as an armory as
         well, opened in Richmond in 1802 and reached full operating
         capacity by 1809. Its purpose was to furnish the state's
         militia with standard muskets, pistols, swords, and bayonets.
         It did its job so well that in December 1822 the General
         Assembly voted to close it, in part because of an economic
         recession and the increased use of weapons provided by the
         federal government. The building fell into disrepair until the
         machinery from the Harpers Ferry armory was installed in 1861
         and the manufactory was leased to the Confederate government.
         In 1865 the structure was gutted during the Richmond
         evacuation fire. The remaining walls were pulled down in
         1900.</p>
      <p>The Virginia Manufactory of Arms produced and repaired
         thousands of weapons and employed hundreds of artisans. Two
         supervisors - John Clarke (1798-1808) and John Staples
         (1809-1821) - oversaw the operations of the factory.</p>
      <p>AUDITOR OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS: Although the colonial
         government had appointed auditors general from time to time,
         the office was not established on a permanent basis until
         after independence was declared. At its first session, which
         convened on 7 October 1776, the General Assembly passed an act
         creating a board of three auditors to examine and settle
         claims concerning receipts and expenditures for military
         purposes. The confusing financial situation of the state,
         however, resulted in a series of acts being passed over the
         next fifteen years elaborating and refining the duties of the
         auditors. Finally, at its session begun in November 1791, the
         General Assembly passed an act that combined the duties of the
         board of auditors and the solicitor general, whose office had
         been created in 1785 to settle the accounts of the state with
         the United States, and assigned them to a single auditor of
         public accounts effective 1 January 1792. The auditor soon
         became the most powerful fiscal officer in the state. All
         receipts and disbursements were made only upon his warrant to
         the treasurer, and his books were the standard against which
         those of the treasurer were checked.</p>
      <p>The first changes were made as the accounts of the
         revolutionary era were settled. As the state moved into a
         period of steady financial and governmental growth in the
         nineteenth century, the number of accounts and funds
         maintained by the auditor became excessive. Thus, on 24
         February 1823 the General Assembly passed an act creating the
         office of the second auditor to ease the auditor's burden.
         Although the second auditor handled several large special
         funds, the auditor continued to be responsible for most of the
         accounts concerning the daily operation of state
         government.</p>
      <p>The first changes were made as the accounts of the
         revolutionary era were settled. As the state moved into a
         period of steady financial and governmental growth in the
         nineteenth century, the number of accounts and funds
         maintained by the auditor became excessive. Thus, on 24
         February 1823 the General Assembly passed an act creating the
         office of the second auditor to ease the auditor's burden.
         Although the second auditor handled several large special
         funds, the auditor continued to be responsible for most of the
         accounts concerning the daily operation of state
         government.</p>
      <p>During the Civil War both the state government and the
         pro-Union Restored Government of Virginia, which was based
         first in Wheeling and then in Alexandria, had auditors of
         public accounts. After the war, near the end of
         Reconstruction, the military authorities appointed Major
         Thaddeus H. Stanton, of the United States Army, as auditor of
         public accounts. Stanton was paid by the state during his
         service from 3 April 1869 to 12 February 1870, although he
         remained an army officer. The position was returned to
         civilian control on 12 February 1870 with the election of
         William F. Taylor as auditor by the General Assembly.</p>
      <p>Following the Civil War the complexities of an increasingly
         sophisticated financial world threatened to overwhelm the
         state fiscal offices, which had changed their practices but
         little since the end of the eighteenth century. Inadequate
         bookkeeping procedures and embezzlements of state funds
         resulted in a public demand for corrective action. It was not
         until a state government reorganization act was passed by the
         General Assembly on 18 April 1927, however, that the demand
         was satisfied. Effective 1 March 1928 the office of auditor of
         public accounts and second auditor were abolished and replaced
         by the office of comptroller--head of the Department of
         Accounts--to monitor the receipt and disbursement of state
         funds, and a new office of auditor of public accounts, under
         the General Assembly, to audit state and local government
         agencies.</p>
      <p>The records of the first auditor of public accounts have
         not survived intact; periodically they have been subjected to
         disarrangement or destruction. When the auditor's office was
         created in 1776, Virginia's seat of government was in
         Williamsburg. In 1780, when the capital was moved to Richmond,
         the auditors and their records also moved. At this time, and
         during Benedict Arnold's raid on Richmond in 1781, some
         auditor's records were misplaced or destroyed. During the War
         of 1812, when it was believed that British troops were
         marching on Richmond, the state's records were loaded onto
         wagons and hauled to the James River for transportation
         upstream. Before the boats sailed, however, the alarm proved
         false and the records were unloaded and returned to the State
         Capitol.</p>
      <p>The next threat to the auditor's records came on the night
         of 2-3 April 1865, when the evacuation fire broke out as the
         Confederate garrison abandoned the city. Fortunately, the
         auditor's records escaped the flames because they were stored
         in the basement and attic of the State Capitol, which did not
         burn. Following the capture of Richmond by Union troops,
         however, a detachment of the Twentieth New York Infantry
         Regiment served as a guard in the Capitol building and browsed
         through the records of the state's fiscal offices (sometimes
         recording candid opinions concerning the late Confederacy in
         the margins of ledgers and journals). After the state library
         building was completed on the east side of Capitol Square in
         the late 1890's the auditor's office moved into it and the
         older records were stored in the basement. There they remained
         until 1913, when they were transferred to the custody of the
         state library.</p>
    </bioghist>
    <scopecontent>
      <head>Scope and Content Information</head>
      <p>This series contains the following operational records of
         the armory: Account Books, 1811-1821, 33 vols.; Armory
         Building: Construction and Maintenance Vouchers, 1799-1811 (1
         ft. 10 in.), Foundry: Vouchers, 1806-1809 (3 in.), Reports,
         1801-1811 (2 in.); Artisans: Payrolls, Receipts, and Vouchers,
         1798-1810, 3 ft. 9 in.; General Vouchers, 1800-1828, 6 ft. 3
         in.; Gun Carriages and Repair of Arms, Receipts and Vouchers,
         1812-1827, 1 ft. 8 in.; Repair of Arms, Armory, and Military
         Equipment, Receipts and Vouchers, 1830-1864, 2 ft. 6 in.;
         Warrants, 1798-1810, 1 in.</p>
      <p>This series contains the following records of the office of
         the superintendent: Ledger, 1809-1811, 1 vol.; Vouchers,
         1809-1821, 10 ft. 5 in.</p>
    </scopecontent>
    <arrangement>
      <head>Arrangement</head>
      <p>Organized into sub-series by subject or form, arranged
         chronologically thereunder.</p>
    </arrangement>
  </archdesc>
</ead>
