Stonewall Jackson related carte de visite photo, stereoscope photo card, snapshot photos, post cards and copy print photos, 1861/1992
- Containers:
- Box 8, Folder 16
- Scope and content:
-
Photos included in this folder are as follows: A copy print photo of a map showing the Movements of Gen. T. J. Stonewall Jackson, 1861-1863, prepared and drawn by William Couper, December 25, 1933. A carte de viste photo of Stonewall Jackson's first grave, circa 1863. A stereoscope card photo of Stonewall Jackson's first grave, circa 1863. A copy print photo of some of the Lexington, Virginia, Ann Smith Female Academy students, gathered around the first grave of Stonewall, circa 1863. A snapshot photo of possibly four Washington and Lee University students standing in front of the Stonewall statue, at his second grave in the Lexington, Virginia cemetery, circa 1891. A Quisenberry & Co. hand colored post card of the entrance to the Lexington cemetery, showing the Stonewall Jackson statue, circa 1891. A Curt Teich & Co., Chicago, Illinois post card of the Stonewall statue at Lexington, Virginia cemetery, sold by the Boley's Book Store, Lexington, Virginia, circa 1935. A copy print photo of the Stonewall statue at Lexington, Virginia cemetery, circa 1938. On the reverse side of this photo is a copy print photo of Natural Chimneys, located in Mount Solon, Virginia (Augusta County), with horses and riders, 1938. The Natural Chimneys are remnants of rock carved by a shallow sea, at an elevation of 1348 feet, 1938. A color snapshot photo of the Stonewall statue at Lexington, Virignia cemetery, taken by David Metzger, 1986. A 1992 color postcard of the Stonewall statue at Lexington, Virignia cemetery, 1992 by the Stonewall Jackson House, Lexington, Virginia.
- Biographical / historical:
-
Stonewall Jackson was buried in the Lexington Presbyterian Cemetery (later known as the Stonewall Jackson Cemetery and now known as the Oak Grove Cemetery) on May 15, 1863. In Lexington, Virginia he was laid to rest there following a funeral at the Lexington Presbyterian Church, five days after his death on May 10, 1863. Jackson's remains were reinterred in 1890, only a few feet from the original location of his grave, to accommodate a monument of him. The bronze statue by Edward Virginius Valentine was dedicated on July 21, 1891, at his current gravesite. The Ann Smith Female Academy in Lexington, Virginia, was the first female seminary of high grade incorporated in Virginia. It was established in 1807 and formally chartered by the Virginia General Assembly in January 1808. The school operated as a highly regarded classical and finishing school for young women for nearly a century. A large red brick building featuring a double front porch opened to students in 1809 on a lot on West Nelson Street. The original academy shut down for good as a private seminary in 1883. In 1908 the property was conveyed to the town of Lexington and around 1910 a new red brick structure was erected on the site at the northwest corner of Lee Ave. and West Nelson Street. This building was the Ann Smith Elementary School, which served as a public school until 1969, and is now the Washington and Lee University Chi Psi fraternity house.
Access and use
- Location of collection:
-
Special Collections and ArchivesJames G. Leyburn LibraryWashington and Lee University204 W. Washington StreetLexington, VA 24450
- Contact for questions and access:
- POC: SCA StaffPhone: (540) 458-8649Email: specialcollections@wlu.eduPhone: (540) 463-8109Fax: (540) 463-8964
- Parent restrictions:
- The collection is open for research use.
- Parent terms of access:
- The materials from Washington and Lee University Special Collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user assumes full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used should be fully credited with the source.